Friday, August 8, 2008

Old Drawings from School Days


When I was visiting my mother last week, I dug out a lot of old drawings that she has kept since I was at school.
It was great to see them after so long. These two are from when I was seventeen in 1979.
I had hair back then of course. Lots of it.

I used to do loads of drawings from life then, mostly of myself for want of anything else to draw.
Art teachers mostly had kids drawing boots and cabbages, if they drew from life at all.
I remember that my art teachers, Messers Maguire and McFadden, used to get the younger kids to sit for me. I was lucky with my teachers, they were a couple of good guys.

3 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

Ooo, I printed this post, just to say 'I told you so' to everyone who tells me "you can't save everything" the kids do.

Our eldest one is off to the Art College in Dun Laoghaire next September; maybe one day she'll be glad her old drawings are still there to go back to.

Thanks for a fascinating blog too -- your books are a big favourite in our house.

PJ Lynch said...

Thanks for your comment.
We already save everything our kids create.
I'm so glad you like the books
regards
PJ

Anonymous said...

The hands study is amazing! I'm so envious -- your talent was obviously very strong already then. I had fellow art students like you then; I would look at their work in awe and never imagine I could draw like that. That is just a beautiful piece.